TCS 10K Run will always be remembered as I started my love for running with this event. After registering for a majja run in 2011, I was so delighted to see people from all walks of life, all ages getting together and trying to face the challenge, there was no looking back. Well organized event within the city, expect a good crowd but all for the cause of running together.
This year event is scheduled on 17th May 2015. Running its 8th edition in the city, you shouldn't be missing the running fun. Also if not running, be part of the cheer group for any NGO and support them.
Registration has already began and slots are filling, make sure you get one ! Last date for registration for the event is 24th April or as soon as running slots fill.
More info on the event available in their site below.
Keep Running !
I’M ‘RUNNING’ IN A WHEEL CHAIR’ – 2015
ReplyDeleteI am excited to be ‘running’ as a ‘Champion with Disability’ in the TCS Bangalore 10K Run on 17th May at age 65 although I can only limp around on arthritic legs. This is a huge annual event for me and is my 8th since inception including the Mumbai Marathon 2011. I shall participate under the banner of Diya Foundation to raise funds for their programmes which enable and empower the mentally and physically challenged lead more independent lives.
In the ‘wheel chair run’ some are self propelled; others like me have an escort-pusher. As a sportsperson and India hockey player, I have run many races and played many games at Kanteerava Stadium in my youth, never dreaming I’d be back fifty years later in a ‘different kind’ of RUN and FOR A CAUSE! I will also be here to make a statement that being a person with disability need not stop you from ‘running’ to achieve your purpose in life.
In 2008, my zealous young volunteer escort and I realized what novices we were at the game. Our co-participants zoomed away while we zig-zagged all over the roads. My wheelchair encounters thus far had been limited to post operative trips down smooth hospital corridors, gently manouevred by expert attenders. My escort was a first timer too, so for both of us this ‘hard to control’ adventure began fairly traumatically. I had no intention of ‘flying out’ of the wheel chair (no seat belt here) through an accidental bump into a sidewalk. It was initially difficult though to convince my companion that I was not here to win the race, but only to show my spirit for the game. Thankfully my message did get through in a short while and thereafter the ride was slow, smooth and enjoyable. We had the road to ourselves as we wheeled along some decent ones (both these experiences rare in today’s Bangalore). Early morning walkers cheered us along, as I distributed my poem ‘Beatitudes of the Disabled’. I also spoke to media crews about the need for more awareness among our people that the disabled can be more productive in society’s mainstream. I told them of this possibility if basic and better facilities of infrastructure like ramp access to buildings and disabled friendly roads and transport are provided. My message was well received and I hope is bearing some fruit. The event, which was a truly fun-filled experience of camaraderie among Bangalore citizens, brought us in a happy and fulfilled ‘last to finish’. Even though tired, and by now, my enthusiastic escort panting as well, we had achieved our mission to spread the vision of the inspiring organization in whose cause we’d ‘run’!
In 2012 I was presented the award for highest fund raiser among Women Care Champions with my collection of Rs.10.01 lakhs. Truly a proud achievement!
Ready once more for 2015…
BEATITUDES OF THE DISABLED
Blessed are they who don’t shun me
Just because I have a disability
Blessed are they whose concern for me
Goes beyond pity and charity
Blessed are they who make me feel
That I should be given an equal deal
Blessed are they who think I should be
Given a chance to develop the skills in me
Blessed are they who encourage me
To overcome the embarrassment of disability
Blessed are they who don’t hide me away
Just because I am different from they
Blessed are they who because I am blind
Don’t also think I have no mind
Blessed are they who do not balk
When I dribble all over or struggle to talk
Blessed are they who are patient and kind
Knowing it takes time to work things in my mind
Blessed are they who looked away
When I was clumsy at mealtime today
Blessed are they who put themselves out
To include me too in what they’re about
Blessed are they who give me way (in a queue)
Knowing I can’t stand as long as they
Blessed are they with a cheery smile
Who stopped to chat for a little while
Blessed are they who see in me
A person of WORTH & ABILITY!
(adapted from Beatitudes of the Aged) by JACQUELINE COLACO
‘THAT’S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR’